Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Time to work!

I receive a substantial amount of emails from prospective Publicists who want to know how to break into the industry. Well this post is for you.

As you may or may not know Fashion week is now only a couple of weeks away. With that being said, tis the season to find work. Companies are preparing for their shows and events for fashion week and will be looking for all types of help. I would suggest you start with Craigslist. There are tons of postings for work especially in the Gigs section. Unfortunately due to today’s economic state a lot of them are unpaid. But, if you are looking for the experience these are excellent starting points to get a crash course in the hustle and bustle of PR.

This is also great because if you end up working for a really huge show that is definitely good to put on the resume.

Good luck!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm new to your blog, but was wondering if you've ever had mentoring sessions, where PR professionals can speak face-to-face to those looking to get into the business. I'm located in New York City, and would love to offer my help if it's something you're interested in.

fashionablyl8 said...

I agree-craigslist.com is amazing! That's how I found my current internship, which is with a really cool PR firm called Barnett Ellman in Beverly Hills.

PR Urbanista said...

Digital Duchess a PR meet and greet is definitely forthcoming.

Please email me at pr.urbanista@gmail.com so I can add you to the mailing list and get you involved when I start the process.